Saturday, December 1, 2018

Do it in smaller chunk, and do it often - Pomodoro Technique

I learnt a simple and useful technique from Coursera which help me to be more productive and highly efficient.
As always I think a lot before getting into action, most of times I ended up procrastinating. In fact, I am happy with me being an excellent award winning procrastinator rather than doing something useful(action oriented).
Then I learnt Pomodoro Technique from Learning How to Learn from Coursera course(This is one of the top rated course in Coursera.. It is 100% FREE. It is a best course to start the online learning and gets a taste of it).  I wanted to give it a try and results are amazing.
What is Pomodoro Technique?
The Pomodoro Technique is a time management method developed by Francesco Cirillo in the late 1980s. The technique uses a timer to break down work into intervals, traditionally 25 minutes in length, separated by short breaks.



How is it helping me to be more productive and efficient?
  • It gives me a "Do it in smaller chunk, and do it often" approach and mindset.
  • Thinking about reading a 400 pages book on Agile/Personality development makes me so energy draining(Yes I agree...Typical pro-castor approach). Having a fixed time limits, helps me to get into action mode easily.
  • As I am doing it in a smaller chunks, I am getting a feeling for moving forward with my set of tasks.. 
  • I get a feeling of more accomplishment.
  • I also look forward for the 5 mins rest time which is so rewarding.
  • I changed my morning routine by applying this technique(It is just my example, everyone can choose these according to their interests and priorities)
    • Reading a book on Agile(it can be anything) for 25 mins
    • Take a break for 5 mins
    • Then reading a second book or the same book(currently reading 4 hour work week by TIm Ferris) for another 25 mins
    • Again 5 mins break (similar to commercial breaks)
    • Finally I end my morning routine with Yoga for another 25 mins...
Final manthra for high productive is "Do it in smaller chunk and do it often"

No comments:

Post a Comment