Sunday, August 11, 2013

My first published article

This is published in LifePositive Magazine in February 2011

LifePositive Magazine - Feb 2011

Core Messages from the article are:

My mother taught me an important lesson: It is more important to be kind than to be intelligent. I was to live like sandalwood, which spreads its aroma every time it is scraped. I would always have to be ready to help the needy irrespective of their age, gender, religion, caste, nationality. 

I am not talking about materialistic help only; it could be a pat on the back for a deserving team member, or a concerned call to your aged parents or relatives, or extending a whole-hearted birthday wish to your old security guy, or a little word of appreciation to your deserving domestic help, or an encouraging word to an underperforming. Little gestures make a huge difference!

The second lesson: the sandalwood sacrifices itself in the process until it becomes nothing in the end. The Hindu’s Bhagavad-Gita says: “Whatever you have received is here, from this earth, and you have to leave them behind when you leave the earth.”

Thanks to my dear mother’s mentoring, I have dedicated my life to helping those around me.  My goal is to fulfil the admonition: “When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, you're the one who is smiling, and everyone around you is crying.”

No comments:

Post a Comment