Thursday, October 17, 2019

EP-15 - English Viglish (Overcoming Fear)

எல்லா ஹீரோக்களுக்கும் ம் ஹீரோயின் களுக்கும்
வணக்கம்.
On this 15 episode we
are completing Stephen covey Habit-1 Proactive Series by today.
Imagine Actor Kamal in Tenali
movie wherein he spoke about Fear by keeping Vel in his hand.

Scene 1 - Rajesh
1.0 – Reactive Person.

I was like
that Tenali Kamal Hassan. My fear was speaking fluently in English. I was
avoiding this and trying ways to escape it similar to the rat was getting hidden
in a rat hole.

This fear
started in the age 17 as soon as completed my 12th and came to Chennai
for the first time. This rat grew bigger and bigger as the day process and
could not escape from that rat hole.

In fact I went
to an extreme extent of learning a new language of Hindi as I could not
converse well in English. In spite of the short comings, I became a MBA – Honours
graduate from US University. In many instances, I would not open by mouth in
public and felt very shameful and I did not even talk about my MBA as I was not
conversing well in English. I used to bite my nails in the last row of any
meetings similar to Thenali kamalhassan. வெட்கப்பட்டேன் வேதனைப்பட்டேன் வருத்தப்பட்டேன்.
I used to blame my mother and English teachers due to this reactive approach.

Days become
months. Months became years. I avoided my shortcomings almost a period of 20
years.

It was not
only affecting myself. I became villains to my team members. I did not hire the
A+ candidate with good English. I was hiring guys like me because of
unconditional biases that I had with good conversant folks. I was thinking that
they were not hard worker and வாய் யால் வடை சுடற கோஷ்ட்டி. It was not only
affecting me and it affected my team and team environment. Similar to me, my
team members were not growing and they were not challenged enough. It was all because
of this fear and insecure reactive approach.

Thalaivar Superstar
says, if you are getting same problem again and again, fix the problem. I hit
upon a checkmate and career growth got stalled because of communication skill.
It was Steven
covey’s paradigm shift moment. Now I want to bring Stephen covey’s proactive
approach and taking personal responsibility. I wanted to be a Rajesh 2.0 and
become a proactive person.

A new fresher
who has an excellent conversation skill in English (வார்த்தை ஜாலம் விளையாடுதல்),
I used to admire the language skill like a vadivelu. I approach that person to
become my mentor in English & I was taken to British council similar to
Sridevi in English Viglish movie. Hats off to my English mentor, without my
English mentor, I would not be in a position to talk to you all in this youtube
channel.

Mahatma says,
Do or Die(செய் அல்லது செத்து மடி). I was dying every day and every moment for
more than 20 years.

What happens
in British council when you go for Business English for executives.
They have a self-assessment
test which is the best one to assess my current level of English. Test happens
in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Grammar. As a part of test, I spoke to an
English assessor for about half an hour to assess my current level of English.
When I came of the room, first time in those 20 years, I felt confident about
myself. என்னை உணர்த்த தருணங்கள். I was like Wills smith after getting his job
in Pursuit of Happyness movie.

I was happy
because I spoke to an expert for half an hour means I was able to communicate
and assessment gave my current level. Learning English is a big ocean by
itself. This gave a good starting point.

Finally I
throw that Vel which tenali kamalhassan for carrying due to fear and insecurity
and took English books similar to Sridevi in English Viglish.

I am not promoting
any one institute that is not my intent. The course requires 6 hours of time
per week either weekday or weekend. About 7 weeks or 42 hours to complete one
level.

This can be
accommodated by anybody along with your job. If you are like me who are working
in corporate jobs, and dealing with overseas client, English is the important
business language.

Word of
caution, learning English is not like you became rich in one song like
Annamalai movie, you have to put consistent effort over a period of 6 months to
one year. I am not the one who take help and there are many more corporate
employees come to British council. I want to talk simple English and fix 20% of
mistakes that creates 80% of errors in speaking.

Studies says
if you know around 2500 word families are good enough to speak English fluently
to begin with.(
Studying
heritage language learners reveal that a person with a vocabulary size of 2,500
passive word-families and 2,000 active word-families can speak a language
fluently.
)

I have given
link for top 800/ top 2000 frequently used words in English. Slowly I
transformed from a Rat to tiger and Now a days I sit in the first two rows in
any meeting.

Now I am
telling you learning English is a ஜுஜுபி matter. I should have done it in the
early years of my career. I would have felt high in confidence and self-esteem
in those early years and I would have hit a halt in my career progression due
to English. If you are in a corporate setting and want to converse in English,
please start in the early age itself. சூத்திரம் கிடையாது.

Coming back, Conversing
in English was my fear. What is your FEAR.

Exercise: Run
towards your fear. Run towards ____________(Fill in the blank) by thinking 20
sec to 20 mins. Let us work on it in these 100 days. Please message me or email
me if you need any help on this topic.

Let me share
the strategies to address any fear.
  • ·        
    Understand
    fear and embrace it.
  • ·        
    Plan
    to attack your fear. RUN TOWARDS YOUR FEAR.
  • ·        
    Name
    your fear.
  • ·        
    Think
    long term
  • ·        
    Educate
    yourself like Sridevi
  • ·        
    Practice,
    Practice and Practice
  • ·        
    Get
    help
  • ·        
    Follow
    someone footsteps.


To conclude,
Actor Ajith says என்னோட ஒவ்வொரு நிமிடமும் நான் என்னை செதுக்கிட்டேன். என்னை மாதிரி
20 years செத்து மடியாதிங்க வைச்சு செஞ்சுடுங்க


Poster: FEAR- False Evidence Appearing Real.
Reference:-

Is F.E.A.R. Holding You Back?

is an acronym for False Evidence
Appearing Real
. There's no true threat of immediate
physical danger, no threat of a loss of someone or something dear to us,
actually nothing there at all. F.E.A.R.
May 28, 2010
English:-

Theme for the week: Be
Proactive
– Courtesy: Habit1 of Steven Covey’s 7 Habits of highly
effective people.
(Start Date 12th Oct, End date 18th Oct –
Saturday to Sunday)

Habit1: Video (Please watch it without fail)
7 Habits of Highly
Effective People - Habit 1 - Presented by Stephen Covey Himself




No comments:

Post a Comment