Sunday, December 1, 2019

EP-59 – நால்வர் கூட்டணி – The Four Dimensions - Sharpen the Saw - Habit-7 – Zero to Hero 100 days Personal Transformation Journey

இந்த YouTube channel லை வாழ வைக்கும் தெய்வங்களாகிய எல்லா
ஹீரோயின்களுக்கும், ஹீரோக்களுக்கும்
வணக்கம்.

I keep Steven covey
as a general theme. Individual episode can be viewed separately for any new comer
to this channel, or can be viewed it as a series.

Common Theme for
the week (from 30th Nov till 6th Dec) – Sharpen
the Saw – Habit 7 (Courtesy: Stephen
Covey).

From today till
next Friday, we will be talking about Habit 7 – Sharpen the Saw.

We are going to
talk about the 4 dimensions.
Where was I? How
did I learn these 4 dimensions? Why is it important to anyone?

Let me make a Self-confession
here. I do not support and vouch for any particular yoga group or favouritism towards
one group or other. யார் சொல்லறாங்க கிராதவிட என்ன சொல்லறாங்க கிறது ரொம்ப முக்கியம்.

It is always important
to learn what is being said rather than who said it. I am just sharing whatever
I have learnt over the period of time / 12 years. It is always one person’s
view. I just focus on learning and sharing. I am still “work in progress guy”.

It was about 12
years back, that was the time I lost my mom, I met my colleague Kalyan. I
dedicate this episode to him. He is the one introduced me to “Valga Valamudan”
by Vethathiri Maharishi. I learnt the basics of all these 4 dimensions from
here. Let me repeat again, I do not support any particular sect or yoga group. To
lead a holistic way of living, They taught us “Mana valakkalai Yoga”. They have
systematic approach of 15 days basic exercises, followed by 4 stages of
self-introspection classes. 4 introspection classes are on Thought Analysis,
Anger Management, Stress Management, Nan Yaar. In the end, the course ends with
Brahma Niyanam (Truthful reality).

My mind was a
monkey mind. I was wandering everywhere (எத்த திண்ணா பித்தம் தெளியும்) and started doing a bit of everything.  I learnt that Steve Jobs went to Rishikesh and
read “Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda”. I start learning whatever
comes in my way by various advices and suggestions. I did not get any clarity
and idea. Then I learnt Yoga from Krishnamachari Yoga Mandiram. I learnt Surya
Namaskar and Pranayamam. Everyone around me were criticising me. My friend
Ramkumar told, I do not do anything consistently over a long period of time. I
keep jumping from one thing to other like a wandering Monkey. He was right.
In one point of
time I realized that I do not have to learn anything new. It is all about these
4 dimensions.  I was faltering in the
implementation aspect and put things in daily practice. I started put things
into practice and I am still a work in progress guy.

What are these 4
dimensions? I am attaching the cheat sheet for the same.

In the next few
days, we will do deep dive on these 4 dimensions (அலசி ஆராயலாம் பிரிச்சு மேஞ்சிடலாம்).

Four Dimensions are
1.      
Physical
: Exercise, Sleep and Sleep
2.      
Mind :
Reading / Learning
3.      
Mental/Relationships
– Social / Emotional
·        
It focuses
on relationships
·        
Social –
relationships with others
·        
Emotional
– relationships with ourselves
4.      
Spirit –
objective/mission

Habit-7
Sharpen
the Saw - The Habit of Renewal
Courtesy: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People –
Signature Program

Priniciple:
To maintain
and increase effectiveness, we must renew ourselves in body, heart, mind, and
soul.

Paradigm:
Ineffective:
I focus only on getting the golden eggs.
Effective: I nurture the goose that
lays the golden eggs.

Behaviour
·        
Renew
regularly in the four dimensions.
·        
Be strong in
the hard moments.

Result:
·        
Improved
capacity
·        
Stronger
relationships
·        
Greater
reserves
·        
Continuous
improvement

7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Habit 7 - Presented
by Stephen Covey Himself

Lessons learnt: - Part A –
The Four Dimensions (From 0:00 to 5:23 minutes)

  • Ø 
    How many here
    have you ever been too busy driving you didn’t take time to get gas in.
  • Ø 
    In physics it
    is called the second law of thermo dynamics – everything breaks down.
  • Ø 
    Entropy it
    becomes disordered.
  • Ø 
    Until the
    blade breaks, The mind becomes dull, the spirit insensitive, the body flabby
  • Ø 
    The concept
    of sharping the saw is personally, interpersonally, managerially,
    organizationally the concept of Continuous improvement (Kaizen) and continuous
    learning. Forever getting better.
  • Ø 
    Focuses on
    production capability


Ø 
  • Ø 
    Habit seven
    if done right automatically develops other 6 Habits.
  • Ø 
    Takes a high
    level of proactivity and a responsibility to consistently sharpen the saw.
  • Ø 
    One activity
    that has as great a leverage factor in life is habit seven
  • Ø 
    What do I
    mean by leverage - If you put fulcrum in the middle – you put in one unit of
    effort here you’ll get out of productivity here.
  • Ø  If you move
    that fulcrum over, you can put in one unit of effort here and get out a hundred
    units of productivity over there.
  • Ø Habit 7 moves
    the fulcrum over.
  • ØYou may only
    spend a few hours in an entire week(1 week=168 hours)
  • Ø 
    Those few
    hours(Holy Hour) will affect the quality, productivity, satisfaction, quality
    of relationships, quality of decision making of every other hour
  • Ø  But the
    problem is Habit 7 lies in Quadrant 2, it is not urgent. That’s why most people
    neglect it.
  • Ø 
    They do it
    very unsystematically
  • Ø 
    They hit and
    miss on it.
  • Ø 
    Sometimes
    they get kind of imbalanced on it.
  • Ø 
    They focus
    only one dimension
  • Ø 
    Basically,
    there are four dimension in life – Body, Mind, Spirit and relationships
    (Emotional / Social)
  • Ø 
    Social is a
    relationship with others, emotional is relationship with ourselves.
  • Ø 
    Basically the
    four dimensions of organisations as well.
o  
Economic side
to produce bottom line towards some mission within a certain value system that
is the spiritual side
o  
Culture of
high trust, that’s a social side
o  
In order to
have empowerment in the development and use of people’s talents that’s the
mental side.
  • Ø 
    If you study all of history, psychology and
    philosophy inevitably you find the same four dimensions constantly mentioned.
  • Ø 
    But all four
    need to be attended to in a consistent and regular and balanced way in order to
    properly sharpen the saw.



Tagline for today:
Kaizen
(Relentless never ending continuous improvement)

Conclusion:-

Hans
Selye says, A long, healthy, and happy life is the result of making
contributions, of having meaningful projects that are personally exciting and
contribute to and bless the lives of others

If
you study all of history, psychology and philosophy inevitably you find the
same four dimensions constantly mentioned.

Where are we
missing it? It is a quadrant 2 activity. It is important and not urgent. As it
is not urgent, we take ourselves for granted. If we focus this 1 holy hour a
day, it has potential of giving 100x output(EP 2 - Holy Hour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-3GwazdoIs).
As we want
to shine as Hero and Heroine, we need to constantly work on Sharpening the Saw.

Practice
makes man perfect.
Let’s all
take these 4 dimensions in our hands. நால்வர்
கூட்டணி யை கையில எடுங்க

Reference:-
Theme for the week: Sharpen
the Saw – Habit 7

Courtesy: Steven Covey’s 7 Habits of highly effective people.
(Start Date 30th Nov, End date 6th Dec – Saturday
to Friday)

Today’s Videos:-
7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Habit 7 - Presented
by Stephen Covey Himself (Till 5.22 Mins)

Articles:-
HABIT 7: Sharpen
the Saw

Books: 7 Habits of highly effective people – Stephen Covey
Today’s
cheat sheet:-

About me:-
EP-0 - Who am I? - Rajesh Narayanan
If you do not know me personally, you can check out this
video


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiuvvMarwOE


No comments:

Post a Comment