Sunday, December 15, 2019

EP-74 – நிம்மதி உங்கள் சாய்ஸ் – Minimalism - Greatness Series - Zero to Hero 100 days Personal Transformation Journey


Click here for full transcripts of the speech.

EP-74 – நிம்மதி உங்கள் சாய்ஸ் – Minimalism - Greatness Series - Zero to Hero 100 days Personal Transformation Journey

We are in Episode 74.

இந்த YouTube channel லை வாழ வைக்கும் தெய்வங்களாகிய எல்லா ஹீரோயின்களுக்கும், ஹீரோக்களுக்கும் வணக்கம்.

As we have completed all the 7 Habits of Stephen Covey, I want take up “Greatness Series” to address other best behaviours, habits, simplifying tools, good books, Videos, TED Talks and resources.

This week, we have been focussing on Personal Finance. We did deep drive on Hierarchy of Needs, Needs and Wants (அலசி ஆராய்த்தோம்). Today I want to take about Property Investment Trap.

Little disclaimer here: I am not an expert in Personal Finance. I am sharing my thoughts and opinions based on my experiences.

This is a very personal story of mine. I learned a lot from this. I am sharing the same to make all of us Heroes and Heroines.

My mom lost her father when she was 10 years old. She became a teacher at the age of 18. She became inspirational role model for many students, co-workers, and staff and to me as well.

My mom had a dream. She wanted to build a house. In fact, she built a bigger house.

Certain turn of events happened, my father who worked in Bihar state took VRS and came home. He had some retirement money and both of them invested the same in the house. Eventually my father became a Zero. He was not having money rotation in his hands. That became the stress factor in the house.

Invariably there was not peace at home because of the huge investment in the property. To add fuel to the fire, I had two unmarried sisters.

My father became rule Ramaswamy started counted every penny. He learned minimalism from him from childhood.

Every day in our houses, we invariably have fights / arguments due to finance issues as the house that we built started consuming more and more of his savings etc etc. Similar to the song, ஓர் அனா இரண்டு அனா It was a mess for all of us in the family.

My mom achieved her dream. Everyone around us was appreciating her hard work. But she lost her peace of mind due to the house.

Daily stresses started accumulating from childhood had created impact on her health. After retirement, she got Blood Sugar and depression so on and so forth.

She did not suffer for one month, two month or 1 year. She had suffered for 15 years. She used to watch நிம்மதி உங்கள் சாய்ஸ். She was not peace with herself.

What happened to the house that she constructed?
Again some turn of events happened, we had to sell the same house which had constructed after 25 years. The buyer completed demolished the house. I was scattered into pieces when I saw demolition in front of the eyes. My mom and I used to go to house at 3am in the morning to unload bricks for construction of the house. My mom shed her blood to build every stone of the house.

Eventually my mom passed away after few months. The house that she built was gone. When I was travelling on her last journey, this thought that came to my mind இதற்கு தானாய் ஆசைப்பட்டாய் பாலகுமாரா.

These are some of lessons that I learnt from my mom. To be Heroes and Heroines, let us learn from others mistakes.

·         She was chasing her materialistic dream. In the process, she lost herself.
·         Don’t put all your savings on one bucket.
·         Nothing is permanent in life.
·         Similar to credit card expiry date. Our property also has an expiry date.
·         If we have a rewind button in life, I would have built a smaller house and would have more peace of mind in the family. My mom would have lived longer.
·         If you are not careful, your property investments could suck up your peace of mind.
·         I see similar trends in a lot of families who are losing their peace of mind due to property investments.
·         They give up their life and savings in EMIs and losing their peace of mind.
·         The society around you is trying to create insecurity in you to build a dream house.
·         Similar to எலி பொறி, they try to keep some sweetness and trap our self in எலி பொறி. We will get sucked up into the system. All the big realtors are setting a எலி பொறி for us in terms of beach house etc etc. Let us think through carefully and decide the house.
·         If both husband and wife are earning, let us buy the house in one earning so that the remaining one we can keep for contingency expenses.
·         Have 2 to 6 months of saving for immediate expenses.

·         I see similar trend in many families. Nowadays, we are getting loan very easily. Because of this mentality, we tend to stretch beyond our reach and getting us sucked into the system.

·         வாழ்க்கை வாழ்வதற்கே. Life is not just to build a house or buy a car.

·         Look for daily peace in the family before going for materialism.

·         To extend further, Go for minimalism. Check out the TED talk on this.

·         Live life on necessity and needs.

·         Understand your wants very clearly. Distinguish between your Needs vs Wants before go for any huge investments.

·         My mom had full filled her materialistic need and her big dream. It sucked her into that dream.

Exercise: Evaluate on your earning potential and have a long term plan to life. Segregate it into wants and needs.

·         To extend further, Go for minimalism. Check out the TED talk on this[Link given below].

Tagline: நிம்மதி உங்கள் சாய்ஸ்

Conclusion:-
In my mom’s case, it was a house. It could be your dream car, Dream Company or any materialistic need. Our ancient proverb says, “போதும் என்ற மனமே பொன் செய்யும் மருந்து

Thiruvellur says, பீலிபெய் சாகாடும் அச்சிறும் அப்பண்டஞ்
சால மிகுத்துப் பெயின்

It means, மயிலிறகு ஏற்றிய வண்டியே ஆனாலும் , அந்த பண்டமும் (அளவோடு ஏற்றாமல்) அளவு கடந்து மிகுதியாக ஏற்றினால் அச்சு முறியும்.

I read this somewhere. A person started to earn to get some AC air. While earning, he forgot to take time for getting or experiencing AC. Most of us are like that.

We all have only one life to live. Live peacefully for 100 days. Not to collapse in 10 years. To live life for 100 days, let us analyse our decisions whether it is driven by needs or wants. Take wise decisions.

First thing in life is peace of mind and then materialism. Without peace of mind, having materialism is of no use.

நிம்மதி உங்கள் சாய்ஸ்

Videos:-
Less Stuff, more happiness
Writer and designer Graham Hill asks: Can having less stuff, in less room, lead to more happiness? He makes the case for taking up less space, and lays out three rules for editing your life.

Graham Hill is the founder of TreeHugger.com and LifeEdited; he travels the world to tell stories of sustainability and minimalism. He tweets at @GHill.

About me:-
EP-0 - Who am I? - Rajesh Narayanan
If you do not know me personally, you can check out this video



No comments:

Post a Comment