Sunday, November 3, 2019

EP-32 – Personal Mission Statement 2.0– Private Victory to Public Victor...

எல்லா
ஹீரோக்களுக்கும் ஹீரோயின் களுக்கும் வணக்கம்.

Theme for the week (from today till next Friday (8th Nov)) -
Private Victory to Public Victory (Courtesy: Stephen Covey).

Yesterday we spoke about Personal mission statement. Today’s episode is mission
statement 2.0 as every choice of us and our life depends on it. It deserves a
2.0.

I want to share a word of caution here based on my personal experience
with personal mission statement.

When I first wrote my mission statement after listening to Gandhiji’s,
Martin Luther king’s, I was very inspired.  After “I have a dream” speech, I drafted my
mission statement immediately. Days become months, months became years, nothing
happened even after 5 years.  There was stark
contrast in expectation and reality. I did not prepare myself for it. I did not
take any action. It was too high for me to achieve that I gave up and slept feeling
lackadaisical.

Then I showed it to my coach. She looked at my mission statement and looked
at me multiple times from head to toe. She said looking into my eyes, “Rajesh,
you mission statement has too many should activities, have-tos, must have
statements/activities. I do not see a REAL YOU there”. I do not want the copy
of Gandhi’s or King’s speech. I want my Rajesh to emerge as an Individual. She
suggested me to write my mission statement in my own way.

That night I came home. I tore my older mission statement into pieces
and felt very relieved. Then I rewrote my mission statement 2.0. I wrote very
simple lines according to my values and principles. I write “Be Good, Do Good,
Speak about good thing and good thing will come to you(நல்லதே செய் நல்லதா பேசு நல்லதே நினை நல்லதே நடக்கும்). I want to give my best in every touch
points of human interaction in a selfless way. I want to be a fabulous person
in relationship and be an epitome of selfless care and compassion.

Earlier I wrote my mission statement like a Shankar Movie, it had more
of inspirational statement. On that night when I rewrote more like Vijay
Sethupathi realistic approach, I write it with authenticity in alignment my true
self, my values and principles which I can relate to it easily.

Now when I look at my mission statement, I feel charged up and motivated
unlike the older one. I see myself in my mission statement.

I have added a cheat sheet below which contains the leader’s mission
statement. Out of all the mission statement, I could relate to Emma’s mission
statement.

Who is Emma Bombeck?
Erma Louise Bombeck (née Fiste; February 21, 1927 – April 22, 1996) was an
American humorist who achieved great popularity for her newspaper column that
described suburban home life from the mid-1960s until the late 1990s. Bombeck also
published 15 books, most of which became bestsellers.
I am sharing her mission statement here as it is closer to my heart.

ERMA BOMBECK
Erma
Bombeck's reflections

"If I
had my life to live over," written by Erma Bombeck near the end of her
life, details the values Bombeck wished had guided her daily decisions. If you
were nearing the end of your life and you were writing this, what would you
include? Use those ideas to craft your mission statement.

If I had my
life to live over, I would have talked
less and listened more
. I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was
stained and the sofa faded. I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living
room and worried much less about the
dirt
when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace. I would have
taken the time to listen to my
grandfather ramble about his youth
. I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day
because my hair had just been teased and sprayed
. I would have burned
the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage. I would have sat on the lawn with my
children and not worried about grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television -
and more while watching life. I would
have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would have gone to bed when I was sick
instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't
there for the day.
I would
never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or
was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead
of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and
realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to
assist God in a miracle. When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have
said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner." There would have been
more "I love you's".. More "I'm sorrys" ... But mostly,
given another shot at life, I would seize every minute... look at it and really
see it ... live it...and never give it back.

I discussed about her mission statement with my wife(Sudha Rajesh) who
helps me in shaping my content on a daily basis.

While discussion, she said,
·        
She
will not be hard on herself
·        
She
will not be too critical on herself
·        
She
will not take herself and life too seriously
·        
She lives
every stages of her life fully and more gracefully.
·        
She
accepts herself as she is and others as they are.
·        
She
wont get angry for someone’s action eg., when someone jumps the signal

Reflecting on my mission statement, one thing is very clear “Sieze each
and every moment of your life”

Life happens in the present moment (இந்த மணி துளிகள் வாழ்க்கை).  Live your life fully in every minute of your
life. 60 mins of an hour became 60 magical moments. One day has 1440 magical
moments of life.

Exercise: Please rewrite your
mission statement in a realistic, practical way inline with who you are, your
values and principles.

Reference:-
Theme for the week: Private
Victory to Public Victory

Courtesy: Steven Covey’s 7 Habits of highly effective people.
(Start Date 02nd Nov, End date 8th Nov – Saturday
to Friday)

Check sheet of Leader’s mission statement
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15_LZchobFQtufPFTG8s907k9yjrolw5t/view?usp=sharing

Create and Live by a
Personal Mission Statement (Courtesy: Stephen Covey)
A personal mission statement is like a constitution by which you make
all decisions for your life. Highly effective people shape their own future
instead of letting other people, their culture, or their circumstances
determine it.
Personal Mission Statement – Your purpose and meaning in life.
Benefits of a Personal Mission
Statement:
·        
Clarifies what is important to you.
·        
Provides focus.
·        
Helps you design your life instead of having
it designed for you.
·        
Guides your day-to-day decisions
·        
Gives you’re a greater sense of meaning and
purpose.



Books: 7 Habits of highly effective
people – Stephen Covey


No comments:

Post a Comment