Saturday, November 9, 2019

EP-37 – Aadu Puli Attam (ஆடு புலி ஆட்டம்)– Think Win-Win (Habit 4) – Zer...

எல்லா ஹீரோக்களுக்கும் ஹீரோயின் களுக்கும் வணக்கம்.

Theme for the week (from
today till next Friday (15th Nov)) – Think Win-Win (Courtesy:
Stephen Covey).

We are going to
talk about Habit 4 – Think Win-Win in this week. The foundation of habit 4 is
habit 1,2 and 3. If you have strong foundation in private victory, then Habit 4
becomes effortless.

However, it is the
toughest one to practice.

Year 2006, I became
the manager in my company. I formed the team from scratch.

I had one team
member who is extremely smart guy(புள்ளி வைத்தால் கோலம் போடுவான்) and he is gold medallist from college. In
the team meeting, he never listened to me. He did not do anything whatever I had
told him. I was irritated and upset. I was playing a ஆடு புலி ஆட்டம்
with him.

I feel like I was
ignored by him. I am literally clueless. Then I took the popular approach of
win-lose approach. I avoided him and did not give any deliverable to him. I
wanted to control him and asked him to send daily report to show my power and
position. He did not bother either.

It is more like ஆடு புலி ஆட்டம்
in Shankar movies. One time
hero wins and other time villain wins.

Three months passed
and we were far behind on schedule. Then my manager intervened and suggested me
to talk to my star performer directly and very openly. That was a big challenge
for me, it demoralised my ego and getting vulnerable before him.

I want to go to Stephen
covey’s Habit 4. Habits overview:-

Courtesy: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective
People – Signature Program

Lessons
learnt from Covey’s Video
Covey’s
Paradigm:
Ineffective:
There is only so much, and the more you get, the less there is for me.(Scarcity
Mind-Set)
Effective:
There is plenty out there for everyone, and more to spare.(Abundance Mind-Set)
Priniciple:
Effective,
long-term relationships require mutual respect and mutual benefit
Behaviour
·        
Balance
courage and consideration.
·        
Seek mutual
benefit.
·        
Create Win-Win
agreements.
·        
Build win-win
systems.
Result:
·        
Faster
solutions to problems
·        
More team
involvement
·        
Generosity of
spirit
·        
Rich
relationships

We always think in dichotomy, Either / Or approach.


Either

Or

Win

Lose

Tough

Soft

Strong

Weak





It helped me a lot
to overcome my short comings. It is a habit of mutual benefit and mutual
respect. It is based on abundance mind-set.

My earlier model
was not working out. I was feeling worried, anxious and fearful. After listened
to Stephen covey and I went lunch with him to understand his view points and
his perspective. That has changed mine. I started to follow abundance mind-set.
I want to bring the best of myself and best of him. I find ways to empower
myself and him. I started working on my strengths and contributing the
effective way.

In the end, the
output was very wonderful. We have successfully delivered the project in 6
months. Till date, he is most respected person of my career who taught me the
abundance attitude.

Abundance mind-set
is like Shankar, AR Rahman and Rajni are working together to bring the best of
the best.

Habit 4 brings
·        
More creativity
·        
More resourcefulness
·        
More ingenuity
·        
More wisdom
·        
More
intelligence

Aristotle says, The Whole is truly greater than sum of its
parts.

Reference:-
Theme for the week: Think
Win-Win
– Courtesy:
Steven Covey’s 7 Habits of highly effective people.
(Start Date 09th Nov, End date 15th Nov –
Saturday to Friday)

Videos:-
29 Habit 4: Think Win Win - Part A:
Win-Lose Conditioning

7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Habit 4 - Presented
by Stephen Covey Himself (Longer version for the whole week)



Books: 7 Habits of highly effective people – Stephen Covey


No comments:

Post a Comment