Thursday, November 14, 2019

EP-43 – வெற்றிக் கொடி கட்டு – Win-Win Attitude @. workplace - Think Win-...

எல்லா ஹீரோக்களுக்கும் ஹீரோயின் களுக்கும் வணக்கம்.



I keep Steven covey as a general theme. Individual episode can be viewed separately for any new corner. Common Theme for the week (til today (15th Nov)) – Think Win-Win (Courtesy: Stephen Covey).



Today is the last day for Habit 4.



Let me start with Mahabharatha. Krishnar asked Duryodhanan and Tharman to roam around the earth and find a good person in the earth.



Dhuriyothanan went and wandered around the world and came back and said, “Krishna, I am not able to find any one good person as everyone is very bad”.



Whereas Tharman said, “Krishna, I find everyone as good person, I am not able to narrow it to one person”



I learnt this attitude difference recently in the workplace.



I interact with a team on a regular basis. This has been going for on for more than 5 years. From the beginning we both of us are having rough patches (7ம் பொருத்தம்). It is more like Karthik and Prabhu interaction in Agni Natchathiram movie.



Whenever I wrote email to the team, I used a lot of harsh words similar to தீப்பொறி ஆறுமுகம் speeches. This continued in the recent executive meeting. I was elated after the meeting as I had communicated my points very strongly.



That night my manager called me, He looked into my eyes said, “You are getting angry and you are taking it very personally and emotionally”. Similar to you have your set of goals, their teams also have their set of goals. Moreover I am not happy with the way you interact in emails. He communicated his message very clearly, politely and very softly.



I got his constructive feedback and it went into my system as if injecting drug in a banana.



For a period of two days, I was in complete denial. Then I took Stephen covey’s Win-Win agreement.



Similar to Mahabharatha example, I was looking at the other team similar to Duryodhanan. I was finding fault at very aspects.



For the past 6 months, I changed my attitude to win-win attitude. I started looking in the best interest of both teams.



My manager showed me the right path. His name is “Ilaya thalapathi’s name”. He is truly the Ilaya Thalapathi for us. I truly see a Krishna in him similar to Mahabharatha story and he helped me to change my attitude. I dedicate this episode to him.



Win-win is an attitude. We spoke many examples of following win-win at home (EP-39 – நீலாம்பரி https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCeMTjyf8kQ), Prinicipal example in school (EP-38 – Believing in Win-Win - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2VO_CuF8oI) and in my own subordinate (EP-37 – Aadu Puli Attam (ஆடு புலி ஆட்டம்)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGUProrzTQ)



My Win-Win worksheet Manager-External team Example

External team feels undervalued and wants more responsibility and autonomy. Management wants to cut attrition rates by 50 percent.




Desired Results

·       
Reduce conflicts
·       
Avoid harsh emails
·       
Improved relationships
·       
Attrition rates drop by 50 percent.
·       
Promotion for right candidates

Guidelines

·       
Goal must be reached within six months.
·       
Standard protocols must be followed.
·       
Experimental guidelines must be followed.

Resources

·       
Scrum Dashboard as Visual indicator.
·       
Manager will advise and monitor.

Accountability

·       
Weekly meetings to gauge progress and resolve issues.
·       
Scoreboard will be updated daily.

Consequences

·       
Positive: Promotion and consideration for pay increase. Attrition
rates drop.
·       
Positive: Review of leadership assignment.


Exercise for today:-



1. Identify an area in your own life where you feel you may have created or are supporting a win-lose system (e.g., in your family, in a relationship, within a team).









2. What one action will you take within your Circle of Influence to improve that system?









All of us wants to establish success in our personal and professional relationships, To have success let us takes Win-Win attitude in our hands.



Reference:-

Theme for the week: Think Win-Win – Courtesy: Steven Covey’s 7 Habits of highly effective people.

(Start Date 09th Nov, End date 15th Nov – Saturday to Friday)



Week’s Video for quick reference.



EP-37 Video

29 Habit 4: Think Win Win - Part A: Win-Lose Conditioning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEKaYUDEdiA&list=PLBcoHkB-HjG-9fXnrU6uwnw1ZoGzoVEcB&index=29



EP-38 Video

30 Habit 4: Think Win Win - Part B: Believing in Win-Win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4InT3iJuy2s&list=PLBcoHkB-HjG-9fXnrU6uwnw1ZoGzoVEcB&index=30



EP-39 video (Part C – Starts from 15:50 to 22:30)

7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Habit 4 - Presented by Stephen Covey Himself (Longer version for the whole week) – For Binge Watching Folks –(Starts from 15:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR4Zj2g6Cs0



EP-40 - Habit 4: Think Win Win - Part D: The Four Dimensions of Win-Win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq9LEVXG2X8&list=PLBcoHkB-HjG-9fXnrU6uwnw1ZoGzoVEcB&index=31



EP-41 - Green And Clean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8MylQ_VPUI



Picasso and the 30 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EXMJIJjUC0



Articles:-



Habit4: Think Win-Win

https://www.franklincovey.com/the-7-habits/habit-4.html

Books: 7 Habits of highly effective people – Stephen Covey

Cheat Sheet for The 4 Dimensions of Win-Win




No comments:

Post a Comment